Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Annnnnnnnd. DONE!!! I managed to rebuild a corrupt boot volume within my computer and she's online again. Although from the amount of comments (either on the blog or any other means) I receive, I pretty sure no one even noticed that my beginning of the week update didn't occur. I set up the blog to receive anyone's comments. Halloween came and went and we saw all kinds of kids at our door. It is fun living in a neighborhood. I must say, however, that the general public is getting quite ridiculous. We had many a kids and teens who had no costume and just walked around for candy. Worse than that, we had many parents who had their own bags (still no costume) and would pocket some for themselves. I even had one mother whom after I told her cute little girl to take one piece of candy from the bowl helped herself to three candy bars greedily saying, "MMMM these are good... Oh I like these too!!" The little girl followed instructions and took only one, but looked heart broken when she saw that mommy had three. On the off chance that that mother is reading my blog... You should be ashamed. Anywho, Sarah is working in the nursery these days and often exclaims upon arriving home, "There are some really cute babies in the nursery." I don't quite know what she's getting at. For me... I finally will be teaching 9-12 grade math tomorrow. Anyone remember what the Pythagorean theorem is???

5 comments:

bigloon said...

Alright, smart guy. how 'bout the quadradic equation? The teaching was fun, but quite frustrating. Kids just don't respect the substitute.

Anonymous said...

In 7th grade my class once made a substitute cry. Did you cry?

If I recall, the quadratic equation is:
A quadratic equation is a second-order polynomial equation in a single variable

(1) ax squared + bx + c = 0

with a not equal to 0. Because it is a second-order polynomial equation, the fundamental theorem of algebra guarantees that it has two solutions. These solutions may be both real, or both complex.

Did you know:

Among his many other talents, Major General Stanley in Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta the Pirates of Penzance impresses the pirates with his knowledge of quadratic equations in "The Major General's Song" as follows: "I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral, I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical, From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical; I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical, I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical, About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news-- With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse."

(find out more at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuadraticEquation.html) ;-)

bigloon said...

Greg, when you say "recall" do you mean "cut and paste?"

Anonymous said...

The Quadradic Equation (spelled with a K in most countries south of the equator) was first proposed by Sylvester Quadradic. A palm reader with a traveling band of tranvestite gypsi dwarfs, Mr.Q proposed the famious Q Equation near the end of a lengthy pub crawl in Dublin. circa 1863. The Eqyation was first developed to settle a lengthy argument regarding "Who's turn it was to buy a round". Basically the equation states that there is an inverse ratio between the amount of beer one drinks and the ability to to remember where the bath room is. If you have anymore math questions just holler. Bo

Anonymous said...

If you were really a UM fan you would know that their colors are Maize and Blue, not Blue and Gold. Stick to math, Science Boy.