Saturday, March 03, 2007

Hello all. Yeah, it's been awhile since the last blog. It's March already for crying out loud. Maybe it's because not much goes on without my wife. Maybe it's because I have no time to sit down at my computer. Since I started my new job as a science teacher, I've been going non-stop. I didn't realize it would be so much work and be so draining. It's now Saturday morning and its the first time I've had to relax in two weeks. My plans are to do absolutely nothing, and I love it. I also love my new job. I have got a great bunch of kids. This photo is only one of my 5 classes of freshman. Yeah, those are 9th graders. They are making them bigger these days. They were all very excited to take the picture (especially when they heard that Mrs. Mulder would be seeing it in Africa) but as you can see the guys still have to keep up that cool look. The guy in the front is Andre. He's my class clown. I'm pretty sure Andre's going to be a lawyer, because he will always try to argue a technicality in order to avoid schoolwork. I have a total of 90 students each day and I love every one of them. I'm not saying I get along with all of them or that some don't drive me up a wall. I'm just saying that deep down my kids have great potential and I love trying to show it to them. Sometimes getting them to see it is the hardest part. This past Thursday was parent teacher night. Six hours of parents cycling through different subjects. It was fun to meet the parents of some of my kids, but unfortunately only a small fraction of the parents attended. A lot of parents don't seem to care, and it always shows in their students behavior. As much as I was embarrassed each time I found little notes all over my locker the next day, I'm very lucky to have parents that always came to my parent teacher nights when I was in school.
Well the coffee is ready, so I'm going to start my busy day of drinking coffee and wishing it was spring time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice use of Duct Tape. There is no problem that can't be solved with the grey wonder.

'BOTB said...

Finally an update from the Mulders! We Hatgai miss you both alot and can't wait to celebrate Sarah's birthday when she returns--Pizza and Gummy Berry Juice-style!

In the meantime, we'll just sit and twiddle our thumbs hoping that Joel will call us to hang out.... oh, hum....

bigloon said...

yes. the duct tape is tacky. that was put there by the previous teacher. I would have put my duct tape so nice and strait.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Joel, what a treat- messages from both you and Sarah! What a great group you have! I hope they appreciate the fact that they have the best possible science teacher! When I think back on my 9th grade science teacher, I shudder. I remember he mumbled a lot and how he only let the boys do the experiments and the girls were the "assistants" which meant we tidied up after the experiments and wrote up the lab reports because our penmanship was better. You are doing important work, Joel. I am so proud of you and Sarah- Take care and do good work! mom Hull.